Monday, August 18, 2008

Mmmm Monday


I'm finally doing a Mmmm Monday again. My blogs have taken the back seat since school started. I don't have a recipe, but my story is food related.
The Churro Story
When we have out of state guests visit we try to introduce them to some of the native food here. Since B and S (niece) have been here before, R wanted to have them try churros. We did a lot of driving, to Carlsbad and back, etc. There were little road side stands, small gift shops, etc. along the way that had signs saying they sold churros. At each place we'd stop...only to find that they don't sell them anymore. One roadside stand offered a "comparable" treat. Not! It tasted more like carmel popcorn. R, not one to give up on a mission, stopped everywhere that advertised churros. No luck. On the way to Mesilla Valley, R got a wild thought...I bet the mall has churros. Sure enough. They even had filled churros. Here we were trying to get authentic Mexican churros and we had to go to the mall to get them! They were a hit and later I found a box of churro mix at WalMart. So now we can make them for our guests and save time and $$. They box churros are very easy to make and taste like the real thing!

1 comment:

Anne of Alamo said...

very funny, never had a churro...lol
but........
I have a bag full of zuchini from my neighbor (a diabetic) and I thought of your awesome zuchinin bread recipe?
hmmmmmmm
if you would post it for me...I would be delighted!!! Splenda version??
you da' bomb
great report coming tomorrow!!!